On Sept. 29, 1922, twenty-six residents decided by a vote of 17 to 9 to incorporate the Town of Riviera. The area had been known as Oak Lawn — after the Oak Lawn Hotel built by early settler Judge Allen Heyser — until 1893, when a visitor to the hotel was so taken by the beauty of the place that he called it the Riviera of America. The town changed its name to Riviera Beach in 1941 after it acquired part of Singer Island.
A drawing of Rivera as envisioned in 1910, including a grand hotel (upper left), a bridge to what is now Singer Island, the old inlet to the north and a new inlet almost exactly where one was cut in 1918. (From A History of Riviera Beach, Florida, published by the Bicentennial Commission of Riviera Beach, Florida, illustration courtesy of Edith L. Newcomb.)