On Oct. 10, 2006 voters in the rural community of Loxahatchee Groves approved incorporation by a vote of 458 to 350. Founded in 1917, Loxahatchee Groves is the oldest of the western communities and gets its name from the Seminole words for turtle river — Lowchow and hatchee — and the acres of citrus groves that occupied the land prior to settlement.
Tags1928 Hurricane advertising African Americans agriculture airports Bill McGoun Black history month black icons boats Boca Raton Boynton Beach buildings Camp Murphy celebrities Christmas death Delray Beach Glades Henry Flagler hospitals hotels hurricanes immigrants incorporated Lake Worth Morrison Field museums newspapers notorious crimes Palm Beach parks photos place names railroads restaurant roads schools sports store theaters This Week in History unanswered questions West Palm Beach World War II WWII
On Oct. 1, 1931 the city of Clewiston was incorporated, but not for the first time. Clewiston had been incorporated in 1923, and then re-chartered in 1925. The city was named for early settler Alonzo Clewis, a Tampa banker who purchased a large tract of land southwest of Lake Okeechobee in the area then known as Sand Point.
The Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller is (among other things) the official keeper of the minutes of county commission meetings. On a recent tour of the office we took some photos of the minutes book from the very first Palm Beach County Commission meeting on July 5, 1909. Click on the images below to view larger versions (and click again to zoom in enough to read them).
Twenty-two families lived in the town of Hypoluxo when it was incorporated on July 4, 1955. The name comes from the Seminole term for “water all around, no get out,” from the days when Lake Worth was a freshwater lake with no permanent inlet to the ocean.
The caption on this photograph in the Nov. 13, 1964 Palm Beach Post: “Hypoluxo’s slogan, ‘The Town with No Taxes,’ may have to be altered if the town installs a sewage system. Town officials have been conferring with Lantana authorities about a tie-in with that community’s sewage system. But, a always, there is the matter of financing. Maybe an assessment would also provide footwear for the poor shoeless mailman.”
Until it was sold to developers in 1958, most of what is now the city of Atlantis was a cattle ranch, citrus grove and chicken farm known as Mulberry Farms. Atlantis, named for the lost city of mythology, was incorporated on June 19, 1959, as one of the first country club communities in Palm Beach County.